Most of the following items are out of print, but many are available
and show up periodically on www.ebay.com.
- McMechen, Edgar Carlisle, The Moffat Tunnel of Colorado,
Denver: The Wahlgreen Publishing Company, 1927, two volumes.
- Black, Archibald, The Story of Tunnels, New York: Whittlesey
- Cunningham, Frank, Big Dan, A Biography of Dan Cunningham,
Salt Lake City: The Desert News Press, 1946.
- Bollinger, Edward T., Rails That Climb, Santa Fe: Rydel
- Boner, Harold A., The Giant's Ladder, Milwaukee: Kalmbach
- Bollinger, Edward T., and Bauer, Frederick, The Moffat Road,
Denver: Sage Books, 1962.
- Black, Robert C.III, Island in the Rockies, Grandby,
Colorado: Grand County Pioneer Society, 1969.
- Crossen, Forest, Western Yesterdays, David Moffat's Hill
Men, Fort Collins, Colorado: Robindon Press, 1976.
- Albi, Charles and Forrest, Kenton, The Moffat Tunnel, A Brief
History, Golden, Colorado: Colorado Railroad Museum, 1978.
- Bollinger, Edward T., Rails That Climb, Golden, Colorado:
Colorado Railroad Museum, 1979.
- Jones, William C., and Jones, Elizabeth B., Photo By McClure,
The Railroad, Cityscape and Landscape Photographs of L.C. McClure,
Boulder, Colorado: Pruett Publishing, 1983.
- Patterson, Steve, and Forrest, Kenton, Rio Grande Ski Train,
Denver: Tramway Press, 1984.
- Cornell, Virginia, Doc Susie, Carpinteria, California:
Manifest Publications, 1991.
- Neimes, Matthew J., Structures Of The Moffat Tunnel, Vol.
1, Lakewood, Colorado, Matthew J. Neimes, 1991.
- Griswald, P.R. "Bob", David Moffat's Denver Northwestern
And Pacific, "The Moffat Road", Denver: Rocky Mountain
Railroad Club, 1995.
- Bodkin, Odds, The Banshee Train, New York: Clarion Books,
- Griswald, P.R. "Bob", Denver And Salt Lake Railroad
1913-1926, Denver: Rocky Mountain Railroad Club, 1996.
- Farewell, R.C., Rio Grande Secret Places, Volume One: The
Tunnel District, Colorado Railroad Historical Foundation,
- Monroe, Gregory, Moffat! Rio Grande-Southern Pacific-Union
Pacific, West of Denver, Colorado, Fox Publications, 1997.
- Sundquist, Elizabeth Josephson, Dismantling The Rails That
Climb, The Grand County Historical Association, 1997.
- Clarke, Allan G., The Moffat Tunnel: A Railfan's Perspective,
Flagstop Railbooks, 2002.
- Reed, Leda, Historic Boulder Park Yesterday And Today
- Griswold, P.R. "Bob", Before The Moffat Tunnel,
Sherm Conners Publishing, MMIV
- Bauer, Frederick, The Roadmaster's Guide To The Moffat Road!,
The Denver & Salt Lake Historical Society, 2004.
- Sells, John A., The Moffat Line, David Moffat's Railroad over and under the Continental Divide, iUniverse, 2011.
- Yust, Jim, Gore Canyon, The Colorado River and The Moffat Railroad Then and Now, Grand County Historical Association, 2013
- Moore, Stan, Mister Moffat's Road, a novel (fiction), www.mistermoffatroad.com, 2014.
- Crisanti, John, The Moffat Road, Denver to East Portal, Union Pacific's Moffat Tunnel Subdivision (2012 - 2016), 2017.
- Union Pacific's Moffat Line, Trains On Location, 2000.
- Rails Away: Union Pacific's Rail Welding Facility & WYCO
Railyard in Laramie Wyoming. Byers Canyon. D&RGW Moffat Tunnel
Line Action. Amtrak. UP/SP 6 Unit Mountain Coal trains. EMPAC
- Otto Perry's Moffat Route, Machines of Iron & The
Rocky Mountain Railroad Club, 2001.
- Winter On The Moffat Route, Highball Productions, 2001.
Maps & Drawings:
- ICC Map Set No. 31 - Utah Junction, CO to Grandby, CO (Colorado Railroad Museum #2749).
- ICC Map Set No. 32 - Willows, CO to Craig, CO (Colorado Railroad Museum #2750).
- "The Moffat Tunnel", Brotherhood of Locomotive
Fireman and Enginemen's Magazine, Vol. 82, No. 4, pg. 332-335,
- "Completion of Moffat Tunnel of Colorado," American
Society of Civil Engineers, Transactions, Vol. 95,
pg. 334-378, New York: The Society, 1931.
- "David Moffat's Dreams Came True," by Forest Crossen,
Trains, Vol. 2, No. 3, pg. 28-36, January, 1941.
- "Locomotives of the Denver & Salt Lake," Railroad
Magazine, Vol. 29, No. 4, pg. 82-86, March, 1941.
- "Doc Susie," by Margery Frank, PIC, Vol. XIII,
No. 10, pg. 42-44, May 11, 1943.
- "Reopening of Tunnel 10," by Harry Hawes, Trains,
Vol. 4, No. 4, pg.10-17, February, 1944.
- "The Commission Says Yes," by William Forsythe, Trains,
Vol. 5, No. 7, Pg. 24-31, May, 1945.
- "Denver West, to Salt Lake," by Edward T. Bollinger,
Railroad Magazine, Vol. 43, No. 4, pg. 8-25, September, 1947.
- "Dave Moffat's Dream," Railroad Magazine, Vol.
43, No. 4, pg. 26-31, September, 1947.
- "Through the Rockies," by David P. Morgan, Trains,
Vol. 9, No. 11, pg. 40-49, September, 1949.
- "Under the Continental Divide," by Wallace W. Abbey,
Trains & Travel, Vol. 13, No. 12, pg. 60, October,
- "The New Moffat Road: Up the Giant's Ladder," by Lou
Smith, Ford Times, Vol. 49, No. 6, pg. 12-15, June, 1957.
- "Rio Grande Revisited," by David P. Morgan, Trains,
Vol. 25, No. 6, pg. 20-30, April, 1965.
- "Tragedy On The Moffat Road," by Olyn Vane Price,
True West, Vol. 19, No. 5, pg. 20-53, May-June, 1972.
- "David Moffat's Bent Hairpin," by Robert A. LeMassena,
Rail Classics, Vol. 9, No. 2, pg. 46-55, March, 1980.
- "Westward From Denver: The Obsession of David Moffat,"
Railroad History, 146, pg. 29-40, Spring, 1982.
- "Mountain Battlers of the Denver & Salt Lake,"
Locomotive Quarterly, Vol. V, pg. 14-37, Spring, 1982.
- "Denver & Salt Lake: East End Action," Locomotive
Quarterly, Vol. X, pg. 2-11, Summer, 1987.
- "The Marcia," by Thomas Lell, Locomotive &
Railway Preservation, No. 30, pg. 30-66, Januray-February,
- "The 1921 Pueblo Flood And The Moffat Tunnel: Economics
and Politics of a Colorado Disaster," by Stephen S. Hart,
Journeys through Western Rail History: Colorado Rail Annual No.
22, pg. 110-135, 1997.
- "David Moffat's Double Dilemma," by Robert A. LeMassena,
The Railway & Locomotive Historical Society Newsletter,
Vol. 20, No. 2, pg. 3-5, Spring, 2000.
- "On Location: The Moffat main line," by Mike Danneman,
Trains, Vol. 60, No. 4, pg. 66-72, April, 2000.
Denver & Salt Lake Historical Society